War and Words - Story & Poetry


Fire and Forget: Short Stories from the Long War

It is not you who will speak: let the disaster speak in you.
—Maurice Blanchot, The Writing of the Disaster
 
Ten years.
 
Not even poetry can rock this disaster to sleep.
 
I Was In A Hurry

Yesterday I lost a country.
I was in a hurry,
and didn't notice when it fell from me
like a broken branch from a forgetful tree.
Please, if anyone passes by
and stumbles across it,
perhaps in a suitcase
open to the sky,
or engraved on a rock
like a gaping wound,
or wrapped
in the blankets of emigrants,
or canceled
like a losing lottery ticket,
or helplessly forgotten
in Purgatory,
or rushing forward without a goal
like the questions of children,
or rising with the smoke of war,
or rolling in a helmet on the sand,
or stolen in Ali Baba's jar,
or disguised in the uniform of a policeman
who stirred up the prisoners
and fled,
or squatting in the mind of a woman
who tries to smile,
or scattered like the dreams
of new immigrants in America.
If anyone stumbles across it,
return it to me, please.
Please return it, sir.
Please return it, madam.
It is my country...
I was in a hurry
when I lost it yesterday.

"I Was in a Hurry" by Dunya Mikhail, translated by Elizabeth Winslow, from The War Works Hard, copyright 1993, 1997, 2000, 2005 by Dunya Mikhail. Reprinted by permission of New Directions Publishing Corp.
 
More:
 
 
Writing the War Out: How One Veteran Has Used Writing to Confront Trauma - Nina Porzucki

Fire and Forget: Stories from the Long War -
 

Credible Information, 1999 - 2003 - Mark Pawlak


Dear George Bush - Kristin Prevallet


No comments:

Post a Comment