New Year's 2013 Watch & Listen Play List: December 31 - 2013



“There are years that ask questions and years that answer.”
 Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God

I wasn't prepared for the questions 2012 asked. And my god, the answers.

2013. Lucky 13. It's going to be a good year.

My play lists may appear like an eclectic mix. For me, they are code, personal, cryptic, secret messages.

This play list is a compilation of themes and ideas and issues that are on my mind and in my heart as the new year approaches.

Years ago, I laid my dreams aside, forgot them, and in the process, lost my way. 2013 is the year I forge ahead, remake the world, and do the only thing I was meant to do: Write.

I had a dream years and years ago of standing in a vineyard in Ancient Greece. Two women approached and offered me a maker bead. They told me I was a Maker.

Yes. Yes, I am a Maker. A maker of stories.

When I was a young girl, the practice in my religion that I belonged to was to give patriarchal blessings. The patriarch said it was a man's  blessing, which at the time confused me and terrified my mother. I understand his meaning now - I am to be fearless in my telling. He said I would tell the truth from the mountain tops. Decades later in sweat lodge, the medicine man gave me the same blessing. My truth is story. It is time to tell them.

I am hopeful for the year ahead. I am looking to the original revolution girls, Zora Neale Hurston, Virginia Woolfe, Toni Morrison, Margaret Atwood, for courage to do the work I must. And to myth, especially the reinterpretation of myth in Sophocles' brilliant plays. And to all the writers who have reimagined ancient stories and made them their own, and thus thrown bread crumbs along the path for me to find my way home by the moon's light .

I am ready for the hard work, for the needed changes, the new directions, and the joy that this year promises.

Happy New Year & enjoy the music!

I'm Writing a Novel - Father John Misty
Hey Ho - The Lumineers
Tell Me a Tale - Michael Kiwanuka
Things Have Changed - Bob Dylan
The Story - Brandi Carlile
She Lit a Fire - Lord Huron
Revolution Girls - Mariachi El Bronx
The Hours - Phillip Glass
Beloved - Rachel Portman
I've Got Dreams to Remember - Buddy Guy
Myth - Beach House
The Great Salt Lake - Band of Horses
The Maker - Daniel Lanois
The Right Stuff - Bryan Ferry
Grace - Jeff Buckley
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
Optimistic - Radiohead
Shake It Out - Florence & the Machine
She Moves On - Paul Simon
Hallelujah - Savannah Outen
La Vie En Rose - Melody Gardot
Fee Fah Futula - The Henry Millers
More Than This - Roxy Music
Hell Yes - Beck
Sail Across the Water - Jane Siberry
Ends of the Earth - Lord Huron
Head Home - Midlake
Home - David Byrne & Brian Eno
The Winds of Change - Fitz & the Tantrums
Lost & Found - Lianne La Havas
Coming True - Guards
I've Got Dreams to Remember - Otis Redding
Don't Stop the Dance - Bryan Ferry
Twisting the Night Away - Sam Cooke
Passages - Ravi Shankar & Phillip Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment