Watch and Listen Weekend Playlist

On the way to pick up a pear and pecan Gorgonzola salad for lunch I sang along with the windows rolled down and the heater on. Click past the ad, to see this darkly comic music video.
Simple Song - The Shins

Heard about the Israeli-based puppet band on NPR on the drive home, and had to have a little talk with myself to wait until a stoplight to look them up on youtube. You'll love these guys. Boots Are Made for Walking - Red Band and Marina MB

The ultimate "he said, she said" art-infused video, and yes, you can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness. Someone I Used to Know - Kimbra

This makes me want to take a road trip to the ocean and go snowshoeing, and record both on my Flip. Skinny Love - Bon Iver

The video is just a photograph and lyrics - there are live versions, but her voice here is strong. Florence reminds me of a young Loreena McKinnit. What the Water Gave Me - Florence and the Machine

My suggestion is to skip the middle of the video and just listen, unless you like odes to Flashdance. Anna Sun - Walk the Moon

A beautiful voice. Love is Requited - Elisa

I'm speechless. Watch and see if you can articulate anything other than, Oh Wow!Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men

And now for some oldies:
This takes me back to college when my poet friend introduced to me to underground music stores. Babooshka - Kate Bush

I love his words and his mellifluous voice. Indigo Eyes - Peter Murphy

The video is just so, bad, but I love that warble in his voice so much. A Little Respect - Erasure

While I'm going down memory lane, here's Siouxie. She performed on a tiny stage at the Utah State Fair, back when she was starting out. I had never seen or heard anyone like her. She is still a wild woman. The Killing Jar - Siouxie and the Banshees

And a mix of blues:
Speaking of wild women, I've been listening to Shemika ever since I ordered her very first CD, (basically because I love the blues and I liked the name of the studio, Alligator Records). Freeland - Shemika Copeland

Only Etta can dis like this and get away with it. Wet Match - Etta James

Skip the ad and get right to her silk on skin voice. The Look of Love - Diana Krall

No comments:

Post a Comment