Artist of the Day: Dive - Elle Moss

Dive Elle Moss ellemoss.etsy.com

I am drawn to images of half-submerged women. I think I love the image of suspension, being seen and unseen, because it illustrates how unknowable we are to each other. I went to hear Marilyn Robinson speak this past weekend, and she said that this very thing, the unknowable, the mystery, is at the core of each of her characters.

In your own life, your circle of friends and family, how well do you know them? I don't mean the obvious preferences or temperaments, but that which flows like secret water under the surface.

I analyze everything, even minutia, to death. I think this is why sometimes I'm so slow-moving in my decisions, but then, there are times when I make critical decisions like a lightening flash. Why? I don't know, other than it's a visceral thing. Now, analyze that.

I've admired Elle Moss's work ever since I first discovered it. Now that the holidays are approaching, I am inspired by her work to create my own photo essays as gifts, (not of myself-that would be just weird). I think I'll collect images like treasures and then compile my favorites.

Artist Bio:
I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best. rida Kahlo

Recently seen on Mal Pearsons "30 Days of Giveaways" on The Daily Buzz.

My work has been published in these magazines:
The Portland Mercury (cover image) - October 2011
SHOTS magazine - Dans Le Jardin - Autumn 2011
Maeve Magazine (Cover Image) Issue 5 Spring 2011
ElleGirl Korea: September 2010 and April 2011
Prism Magazine (Cover Image): June 2010 (issue 48:4)
Maeve Magazine (Cover Image): Issue 1 Winter 2010
Carpaccio Guide to emerging illustrators, photographers & artists Vol. 3 (December 2009)
Itaú Cultural Continuum Magazine Oct/Nov 2009
Capricho Magazine (Brazil) September 2009
Somerset Digital Studio Magazine Autumn 2009
File Magazine
Carpaccio Magazine issues #5 & #7
Antler Mag May 2009
Parasol Mag March 2009
Marie Claire Italia March 2009
F-Stop mag issues 28, 32, 37 & 40

Group Exhibits:
Torpedo Factory Art Center/Target Gallery, "masks", Alexandria, VA October 2011
Ann Arbor Art Center All Media Exhibition, Ann Arbor, Michigan September 2011
SAPAC "rEVOLUTION", Ann Arbor, Michigan April 2011
SAPAC "rEVOLUTION", Ann Arbor, Michigan April 2010
"ARTsquared", Powell, Ohio April 2010
YES Gallery, Rhode Island Sept-Oct 2009
Getty Images Gallery, London England Sept-Oct 2009
Louisville Art Association June-July 2009
"Idea of Self" The Center For Fine Art Photogaphy, Louisville,Colorado, February, March 2009
"Through the Looking Glass" Northwest Cultural Council, Chicago, Illinios July 2008
Projekt 30, June 2008
Daisy Lake Art Gallery, Dexter, Michigan, May 2008

Solo Exhibits:
Whittaker Branch Library, Ypsilanti, Michigan, August 2008

Book Features:
Photographer's Forum Best of Photography 2009.
She Took Her Own Picture
In Her Own Image
Visual Candies the book
Poetic Terrorism
Female Photographer's of Etsy book, "She's a Rainbow"

Book Covers:
1. La Rosa Escondida' by Reyes Monforte (2009)
2. I Love You When Im Drunk' by Empar Moliner (2009)
3. 'Darker than Midnight ' by Salvo Sottile (2010)
4. 'Das Madchen im Pelzmantel' by Amy Bloom
5. 'La Restauratrice di Matrinoni' by Donatella Diamanti
6. Christophe lamert - La fille port-boheur (france)
7. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott (italy)
8. Attachment - Isabel Fonseca (Portugal)
9. Grace Williams Says it out loud - Emma Henderson (UK)
10. The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove - Lauren Kate (UK)
11. Hondred lliefdessonetten - pablo neruda

Websites:
Elle Decor
Marie Claire
hgtv
Oprah.com
Decor8
Poppytalk
Creature Comforts

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/torchlightlms
BLOGS: http://ellemoss.blogspot.com
http://diaryofamodhousewife.blogspot.com
EMAIL: email: ellemossphotography [!at] gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment