Sundance Film Festival - Snowstorm Photos

Snowstorm in the avenues above 7th and Main Street.

Festival traffic on Park Avenue.

Olympic Park on the way out of Park City.

Every year I see at least one film, in Salt Lake City rather than Park City, (to miss all the traffic and crowds). This year I didn't get tickets for a single movie. Big mistake. From all the buzz, local and national, this year will prove to be the best showing in the Festival's history. My stepdaughter attended the women art revolution film, and Gloria Steinem spoke. My brother-in-law saw his first festival film this year and said it was the most fun he'd had in a long time.

My daughter and I drove up last Saturday for the flashmob dance. We got there an hour early, so we hung out at the Starbucks people watching. We saw only one or two holy jeaned, high-heeled, or mini-skirted Festival goers. We also spent some time at the District Gallery taking in Sloane Bib's multi-media art and Ingrid Blixt's encaustic paintings.

Almost everyone we saw on the street was wearing the ubiquitous fur-lined parka, flat knee-hi boots, and fur lined flap hat.

The weather was so balmy at home, (around 45 degrees), that despite the storm warning, despite the knowledge that Park City is in the mountains, I only wore a turtle neck, heavy sweater, and a poncho. I left my fedora home. I thought I'd roast. I froze. So much so, that in case you can't tell, all the photos were taken from the comfort of my heated car.

The snowstorm quickly turned into a whiteout and it seemed improbable the flashmob would go forward, but even so, baby girl walked down the precarious wood stairs to the meeting place, while I waited in the avenues above Main Street. She returned freezing and snow-soaked. The Utahflashmob went on, an hour later.

We're going to the award ceremony tomorrow night, thanks to my sister, who is giving up her tickets.

What to wear? My daughter thinks she's wearing a mini and heels. I don't think so. I have no idea exactly what I'll wear yet, but I do know I'll dress for warmth. It's the mountains. It's Sundance, not the Oscars, so the vibe is Indie, authentic, warm. I can't imagine Harry Winston will adorn every earlobe, wrist, or throat. I may be wrong. I do know I will be wearing leather boots, layering sweaters and turquoise jewelry, and sporting a warm coat rather than a poncho.

Watch the Utahflashmob video on here.

Next year I'm getting over myself, getting a new coat, and going to the Festival. Idea: I think I'll blog from it, have my own version of flashmob, a flashunit where I'll flash interview random people in the streets, art galleries, movie goers, and barflys.

No comments:

Post a Comment