Poem Therapy at 1:35 P.M.

Rent
Jane Cooper

If you want my apartment, sleep in it
but let's have a clear understanding:
the books are still free agents.

If the rocking chair's arms surround you
they can also let you go,
they can shape the air like a body.

I don't want your rent, I want
a radiance of attention
like the candle's flame when we eat,

I mean a kind of awe
attending the spaces between us---
Not a roof but a field of stars.


Let's get something straight: nothing in this life is fre. Everyone of us has to pay admittance to the show. Every one of us has to pay rent for the space we occupy.

If you think the universe owes you, get your whiny self to a therapist so she can help you understand that it is you who needs to write a check. You who needs to be grateful.

I'll be on my soapbox for at least another hour. Feel free to drop by - I'll share.

No comments:

Post a Comment