The War Comes to Utah - WWII & Serendipity




I love finding books in thrift and used book stores, not only because the books are so inexpensive I can get my book-obsession fix relatively cheaply, but because the former owners leave traces of themselves behind. When I open a book and find it filled with marginalia, a pay stub, receipt, bill, letter, or if someone has written a pithy quote, their name, or a note to a friend in the front of the book, and especially if they've left a news clipping,invitation,photo tucked inside, I feel like I've entered a mysterious world.

I found this notecard in the cookbook Mesa Mexicana by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. It was stuck between pages 34 and 35, which feature recipes for Chipolte Salsa, Chile de Arbol Salsa, and Spicy Cocktail Salsa, (btw, the later goes well with shrimp! I suggest using P instead of Tabasco).

I'm a big believer in serendipity. The notecard fell into my life when I was just beginning to map the logistics of the book. (I should note that the novel came fully formed in a dream, and came bursting out, like Athena out of Zeus's head, demanding I put aside my other novel,and write down the story at something like 3 A.M.) My father served in the Pacific Theater during WWII and the 1917-1949 novel I'm writing, while revisting and revising myth, pretty much follows his family, and mostly him from island to island, back to the states, and so on. (In case anyone is grumbling, as if anyone is reading this, my first novel follows my mother and her family around).

I had no idea that there were concentration camps in Indonesia. From the information provided, I'm assuming the author of the notecard is female,Japanese, and was baptised Mormon in Holland. The woman made it to Utah, or at least the book made it to the local Deseret Industries Thrift Store. A stroke of good fortune for me as I'm certain I'll weave details into the novel.

I wonder who this woman is, if she lives nearby, if she's still alive, and if so, if she'd be willing and/or interested in talking to me about her experience. I feel an urgent need to record the stories of my father and relatives, other older people before they're lost to death and time.

The barely legible words Sipkemia Mahi, Sam, Moosei may serve as clues.

No comments:

Post a Comment