Mapping A Direction

I'm starting this blog to map a direction to help me write and complete my novel this year, and also, to create a cohesive body of mixed-media artwork, and most importantly, to have a good time creating. For me, image, myth, and language are inextricably entwined and inform and inspire the other. As I said in my bio, I'd like to think I was a crow in another life. I admire corvids for thier intelligence, humor, and for thier ability to gather and create from disparate bright and shiny objects. I read Robert Kelly's poem "Mapping" tonight in the anthology The Best American Poetry 1993 and think the excerpt provided here an apt guide to begin mapping my writing and art journey.

A book for us to write, like this:
you'll uncap the pen and hold the barrel
you'll press the iridium nib against soft paper

you'll draw a line--extend
it to a word
it will run from your hip up your heart to your hand
and it will say


...How does the land know
what the map is making it do?
Which way does a word point
when we look through each other
whoever we are?
And it goes there,
nobody's listening, let the word go,
let the map pour out of your hands
hurry,
you know something you almost remember.


-Robert Kelly "Mapping" from Grand Street

No comments:

Post a Comment